Aside from being an eyesore within any property, mold in your property can make your sick, especially if you have asthma, allergies or are elderly. Mold reproduces by means of tiny, lightweight spores that travel through the air. In small amounts these spores are harmless however when they accumulate in a damp spot within your home they can begin to grow and become harmful.
Mold may not only affect your health but can also affect your back pocket. Mold removal costs the average home owner $2,325 with larger jobs costing up to $6,000. Furthermore, leaving mold damage untreated can significantly depreciate the value of your home.
The easiest way to reduce mold within your home is to reduce moisture, here’s a few tips to do so:
- Dry wet areas within 24 hours to avoid mold growth.
- Use exhaust fans to avoid moisture building up on your walls whilst taking a shower.
- Open windows where possible, particularly whilst showering.
- Make sure any leaks around kitchen sinks, ice makers, basins and tubs are repaired immediately.
- Make sure all gutters are in working order and that landscaping causes water to run away from the house.
- Use exhaust fans to move moisture outside whenever you are cooking, washing dishes, or cleaning.
- Keep the house warm in cool weather. As the temperature goes down, the air is less able to hold moisture and it condenses on cold surfaces, which can encourage mold growth.
Our Building Inspectors are experts at mold detection, prevention and solutions. For a free quote please call 131546.